Monday, November 24, 2014


A few months ago, I lost someone who was really important to me; he was a father to me. His name was JR, and he was my best friends dad (who I've known for 13 years), and he had colon cancer, which should have been one of the most treatable types. The thing about cancer is that it is a really touchy subject - I myself have a hard time talking about it especially because it's so personal to me. I hate cancer. It ruins not only the life of the person who has it, but those who care about them. 

See, it's a really hard thing to do to watch someone literally just waste away with no hope of recovery. The thing with JR is that they took years to find it, and even after they told us it was curable. It wasn't. After two years of chemotherapy and medication, even a short stage where it was completely gone, the doctors told him suddenly that he wouldn't live past his daughters sixteenth birthday. 

I feel like that is completely unethical. Not only did the doctors give us false hope of recovery, but they put JR on medicine that he didn't need just to live for a few extra days. I mean, he was supposedly fine, but all of a sudden the cancer came back. Doctors today are almost always only in the profession because of money and they will do all they can to make as much as they can, sometimes even at the risk of a life. 

And the thing is, this sort of thing happens a lot. Doctors put patients on medications when they don't even know what's wrong (I have had firsthand experience with such.) Even after diagnosis, they will try to give the patient as much medication and as many procedures as they can to make more money, even if nothing was able to help. 

I believe that doctors should be doctors to help people in the most painless way possible, not just to be able to gather money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment